Friday, October 22, 2021

The Plan to Kick Cancer’s Ass

First things first, because I find any humor I can AND I have some weird need to name everything - I haven’t yet shared on this page …


I’d like you to meet Neil Neoplasm. This is the tumor living in my chest. Neil is “squatting” on the outside lower lobe of my left lung, just below my shoulder blade. Much like Earl from the Dixie Chicks’ song “Goodbye Earl”, Neil “has to die”. (If this song is now stock in your head - you’re welcome.)


I try to live in harmony with all of nature and there are very few living beings that I kill. Fire ants, mosquitos, and now Neil. 


I had originally hoped to monitor this and remove it when/if it became a problem. In the past week that plan has changed, as thinhs often do in these situations. This type of tumor is unpredictable and waiting for it to “become a problem” could result in a situation where more invasive means would be necessary or that the tumor could not be “cleanly” removed. 


Additionally, I had a realization that Neil HAS been a problem for the last 6-12 months. What I was chalking up to my ribs simply being out, causing discomfort and a cough is actually a combination of my ribs twisting and the tumor rubbing. It’s unclear which is the chicken and which is the egg. Is the tumor rubbing the ribs enough to cause a shift or are my ribs shifting, in turn rubbing the tumor?


In any case all of this “new” information is a clear answer that Neil has got go. 


Originally I was trying to avoid surgery because it was being presented as quite invasive. With a LOT of recovery time. Now, I’m not saying that this isn’t still invasive, it is.  However, after meeting with the cardio thoracic surgeon yesterday, it is way less invasive than I was originally told or expecting. The surgeon expects that he can do this procedure with a scope. Just a couple small incisions and a chest tube for a couple days while I’m in the hospital. The tube comes out on day three. I get to go home on day four. I need to be with someone for just a couple days after I’m discharged and then can return to “light duty” life as normal. 


I really vibe with this surgeon and his whole team. He was very thorough in explaining every step of the process. We addressed all of my “Scleroderma body limitations” that can make surgery a little more complicated. He sat down and showed me the entire PET scan of my body. It all looks “clean”, except for Neil, who lights up like the New Year’s Eve Ball in Times Square. 


I’m at ease with all of this. In as much as I can be with cancer and lung surgery. Of course there’s a smidgen of anxiety and concern. Cancer. Lung surgery. How can there not be? 


All-in-all I’m good. I’m ready. Let’s do this. Neil has to die. On November 30th, Neil WILL die. I will persevere. I will rock on. 


💋🤘🏼


No comments: