Sunday, November 1, 2020

Pain Meds




This is a GREAT read!

     “Like many pain patients, I initially 
     resisted taking opioids. I exhausted 
     every other possible treatment first.”

How true that rings! Addiction runs rampant in my family. Coupled with the news stories of the opioid epidemic and fears of being judged by healthcare, in turn not being able to get pain meds when I REALLY REALLY need them - I forego painkillers as often as possible. 

Reading this and then reflecting on 2020 and the fact that I’ve been in some level of acute pain on almost a daily basis, for the entire year, due to ulcers, may change my perspective a bit. 

     “There is an important but often 
      glossed over distinction between 
     using medication for a health 
     condition in a way that restores 
     function... and misusing a 
     substance in a manner that 
     destroys function."

There’s a vast difference between misuse and taking 1-2 daily pain medications to 1)allow for peaceful (restorative & healing) sleep and 
2)accompany other pain management techniques to function during a day. 

I believe the answer lies in having a close relationship with your healthcare team - a team that MUST understand the depths of the pain that can come with your condition. Individuals that know the difference between chronic pain and acute pain and how to navigate pain management for each. 

Most importantly, we have to know ourselves. 

Persevere. Rock on!

💋🤘🏼

No comments: