Monday, September 28, 2020

Shoulder Issues, Anyone?

Happy Monday, my Slayers and Slayer Lovers!

This may be news to some or maybe it’s not. Either way, it’s something I stumbled across during some research and it made sense. Real sense. Logical sense. Yet, I don’t recall ever having these conversations with my doctors. 

I’ve had shoulder issues for what seems like forever now. Specifically my right shoulder. At times the pain is excruciating. Other times not so bad. In either case my range of motion has been limited for years, as a result. 

Yoga and massage are the biggest help for me. In our recent work at Yoga for Scleroderma one of the number one things folks want help with is shoulders. 

So, clearly, it’s a widespread issue. I was aware of this before, but recently it’s become very obvious. Until today, I had chalked it up to the fact that when we get tight and we’re not moving; when our arms are drawn inward towards our bodies from the skin and tending tightening; when we spend a majority of the day “curled inward” because it’s where we find comfort in our pain filled bodies ... I had just logically imagined that things start to “fuse” that way. 

In this article I stumbled on about a condition where calcium deposits are specific to the shoulder, the lightbulb immediately came on ...

..... “Others may find that they’re unable to move their arm, or even sleep, because of how severe the pain is.

If you do feel pain, it’s likely to be in the front or back of your shoulder and into your arm. It may come on suddenly or build up gradually.

That’s because the calcium deposit goes through three stages. The last stage, known as resorption, is considered to be the most painful. After the calcium deposit has fully formed, your body begins to reabsorb the buildup.”

THIS is exactly what I experience when my shoulder is flaring. Exactly. The next piece that struck a cord with me was ...

... “Calcific tendonitis does eventually disappear on its own, but it can lead to complications if left untreated. This includes rotator cuff tears and frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis).”

This struck a cord with me, because, my logic tells me, that the reason so many continue to experience issues is because we’ve never been properly treated and we end up with tears or frozen shoulder. Often times our other more serious complications are managed and things like our shoulders and our feet take a backseat and long term, sometimes irreversible, damage occurs. 

I’m by no means a doctor and can’t be 100% certain, but this is what my logic tells me. Just more proof to advocate for ourselves. Keep pushing for answers. 

And definitely “keep those Scleroderma bodies moving”.

Persevere. Rock on. 

๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿผ

No comments: