Monday, June 8, 2020

Can We Get a “Pass”?

Happy Monday, My Slayers & Slayer Lovers! It’s been a “Monday” already!

I was planning to post something meaningful or a hack today, instead, I’m going to go with ”life on the farm” and the funny that comes out of that. 

I’m a firm believer that if one is saddled with a load to carry throughout life, like living with a chronic illness, that they/we should then be given a “pass” on a bunch of the other “stuff”. Don’t we already have enough to manage? Can’t we get a break in some other areas?

For example, we should not ever have to experience “the Mondays”. ESPECIALLY if we are not working or are in isolation of any degree. If all of our days sort of run together, if you will, there should be no “The Mondays”. There just shouldn’t. 

And yet, today, I had one. In a big way. In the first 30 minutes of being upright. 

Let me just first say that the weather in Florida went from being lovely (for all of three days) to now being a hot sticky sweaty teenage boy’s locker room. At 0800. 

I go to feed the horses and walk forehead first into a spiderweb. That in and of itself isn’t so horrible, except that a)I’m sweaty and sticky so the web doesn’t come off easily b)having shaved my head, the fuzz holds onto said spider web quite well, so I just kept getting tickled by the damn thing. 

After my paddock dance and rub down, not five minutes later, when feeding hay, I stepped in a fire ant mound. We use slow feeder hay bags and the last one I was filling was not opening easily. I was fighting to get it open when all of a sudden fire on my foot and ankle to which I yell (think Forrest Gump) “OOOOOWWWWW SOMETHING IS BITING ME!” ... while still trying to put the hay in the hay bag, dancing around trying to get 20 fire ants off my foot without stepping in more. I ended up just tossing the hay in the hay in the stall and got the ants off my foot. Got the rest of my wits back about me and, as much as I try to co-exist with nature, unapologetically, I broke up the mound they built overnight in some wet hay left after yesterday’s rain. 

Fire ants & mosquitos are two critters I have zero tolerance to co-exist with. Forgive me Buddha, The Universe, whatever. 

You can laugh at the images of me dancing with spiderwebs and trying to manage bites, but being too stubborn to just throw the hay. You can really laugh at the conversation that ensued when I reached out to my friend for her fire ant bite home remedy ... “I have never in my life put meat tenderizer on literally anything except myself” 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

A single bite can make whole foot swell up. So, it’s a good thing I have class and “geek work” to do today, because I’ll be inside unable to wear a shoe. 

Persevere. Rock on!

💋🤘🏼

(Foot pic is 15 minutes after the incident. Now the red spot on my ankle is at least twice that size.)

   


No comments: