Thursday, June 4, 2020

BEST Rheumatologist EVER



I was damn lucky to live in Maryland at the time I developed symptoms of Scleroderma. Dr. Wigley saved my life.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's at 19 or 20 after an almost 2 year fight with military doctors.

Though reluctant, I went to see my PCP when I started experiencing Raynaud's a few years later. I was lucky that he knew to run some tests to look for "some extra things". From those tests he knew something was up, and admitted he didn't have the necessary experience or knowledge, but knew I needed to see a Rheumatologist.

That Rheumatologist diagnosed with me Scleroderma in my first visit and also admitted he had no experience with the disease, but he "knew the best doctor in the world for Scleroderma" and sent me to The Johns Hopkins Scleroderma Center to see Dr. Wigley.

I hit pay dirt. Dr. Wigley has been such a great leader for my medical team. Always honest. Always open and willing to work with me if I had questions or ideas that were outside of the norm.

When I moved to Florida in 2010 I continued to travel back to MD to see Dr. Wigley, but looked for a rheumatologist closer to home as the travel at times was daunting. Unfortunately, once you've been seen by "the best", nobody else ever seems to measure up. I never built the relationship or jived with anyone like I did Dr. Wigley.

Now that I have #roamingjoan and travel will become easier, I have decided to go back to Dr. Wigley. When I reached out to him via email this week he responded in less than an hour with "Great to here from you. Look forward to seeing you again. Right now the coronavirus has our clinics closed but may open in July. Contact to setup follow-up plans."

I love this man!

Persevere. Rock on!

πŸ’‹πŸ€˜πŸΌ

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just moved to South Florida 10 months ago and I have had the pleasure of being Dr. Wigley patient for the passed 22 years. I'm finding great dr.'s, Here except for a rheumatologist. In the meantime I'm getting different test done here and sharing them with my John's Hopkins team. I love Dr. Wigley tooπŸ’™