Thursday, April 29, 2010

Addicted to Yoga

I went to my first yoga class this morning and I'm happy to say I will be returning every Thursday from 10-11:30.  Yes, one class and I'm hooked.  

It was AWESOME and I don't know why I haven't done this sooner.  The instructor for today's class was awesome.  She said she is not the weekly instructor, so I'm a little bummed about that because she was great, but she assured me I'll like the instructor next week too.

Class was just the instructor, myself, and one other, older woman.  The instructor first asked me a few questions about myself and my limitations and then explained to us what the class would be like.  

I was excited right from the beginning.

We started doing some simple exercises and stretches while seated in a chair working our shoulders and spine and learning to focus on our breathing.

Then we moved to the floor.  The instructor helped me down and made the next exercises easy for me to do.  We used big pillow bolsters, a strap, and some blocks to assist me and support me in some of the exercises.  The instructor even rubbed my shoulders and did some reflexology on my feet through a couple of the poses!  She really did rock and I could have stayed there all day.

Class ended with a short meditation and I left leaving super relaxed, yet feeling and being very aware of the stretches that my body had just done.  

The class pushed me to DO something.  I've known that I needed to get moving and "the man" and I have discussed physical therapy in the past.  I've been to PT for different reasons, but never liked it and only ever gone for the required length of time for the specific ailment.  Physical therapy has always been boring and for people that have problems ... that's not me.  Yes, note the sarcastic look I'm giving myself.  

I've always thought, "I can just do it at home."  The problem is, just like regular exercise routines for regular people, they don't work if you don't actually do them.  

No matter how positive and kick Sclero's ass I've thought I've been ... that's it, I was just thinking about it.  Yes, thoughts and mind are a big part of the process.  So is just living and getting through every day.  I've been fighting with this and taking medications and going to appointments and doing all of the things I've needed to.  I have not slacked off there, but, I need to "do" more.

Some days just existing are a challenge, and with this current flare up, I'm evolving once again ... I've figured out how to exist and "live" with and shuffle the cards I've been dealt ... now it's time to "play" them.

In the Sclero world some patients and doctors adhere to the "use it or lose it" philosophy when it comes to muscle mass and tendons and thus the need for constant physical and other therapies...

Today I have become an active participant in that philosophy.

As I sit and write this, I can feel a pleasant soreness in certain muscles and and areas, but for the first time in a long time, this pain feels good.

No comments: