Thursday, August 18, 2011

PIP Arthrodesis

Yeah, look that one up.  Essentially, they take the middle joint out of your finger.  They cut the joint out and fuse the two bones together and hold it together with a pin, until the bones bond.  Then, they just unscrew the bone out of the end of your finger.

It's not nearly as bad as it sounds.  Not to mention, it relieves the thin skin on the knuckles, then, you don't get ulcers.  You also don't bonk the knuckles on every single thing that you touch.

I've had it done once.  It looks like it's back on the table as another possibility for the near future.  I've reached my limit on acceptance and dealing with things the way they are.  It's time to take action and move forward.

Arthrodesis is not my first choice.  I'm intrigued and ready to become "The Bionic Woman" It seems amazing and wonderful to me!  Sure, there would be limitations to the functionality.  I don't need to be able to lift 100 pounds ... I just want to be able to lift a cup or a bottle.  I want to be able to work the remote with one hand.  Or to pick my nose.  So, I say, out with the old and in with the new.  Chop 'em off and lets go.

I'm sure the hand surgeon and the rheumy will not agree and will have alternate options.  That's fine, too.  A girl can dream, though, right?  I'm really ready for whatever isn't "this" ....

No comments: