Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Making Sense of it All

At the urging of "the man" I had my first appointment with an internist her in Tampa yesterday.  I think I like her.  Notice I said, "think."  She's got a great personality and is into the more natural way of treating things, rather than dumping a bunch of drugs and medications on me.

Which, I like.

As much as I love modern medicine because it DOES help keep me going and make me feel better, I often times read the drug warnings and side effects and think to myself ... "yes, it's going to help abc, but will it then cause xyz?"

After reading about the Paleo/Primal diet and the research that shows that cavemen and the currently living hunter-gatherers have no diseases, THAT definitely makes me do a lot more thinking.  I know that cavemen lived shorter lives, but the big thing sticking in my head is "no diseases."  No cancers, autoimmune, diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc.  Couple that with the fact that we know that a number of diseases can be prevented or treated by changing your diet ... again, now I'm doing more thinking.

I don't refer to it as a diet, if I can because, these days, diet is taken to mean weight-loss plan, and not the dictionary definition of "The kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats." It's so much more than a 2011 term of diet.  It really is a habit or way of life.

So, we've started eating mostly Paleo/Primal at home.  Paleo/Primal in the 21st Century.  As in, I buy my food at the grocery store, farmer's market, or from the farm, I cook my meat, steam veggies, use seasonings, etc.  I don't have to kill my food and eat it bland and raw.  Notice, I also said at home.  We go out to eat approximately once a week and may indulge in bread, pasta, mashed potatoes, etc.  The statistics say that if you can eat no more than three meals a week that are "non-Paleo" you'll still see the health benefits.

We don't eat anything processed at home.  Or minimally processed, rather.  We eat no grains, rice, potatoes, corn, pasta or legumes.  The "processed" foods I DO buy are frozen veggies & fruit, canned tomatoes (no salt added), canned fruit (in fruit juice) and of course, the meat is "processed."  On Paleo/Primal you're supposed to cut dairy out, as well.  That's just not going to happen here.  We don't go "hog wild" but I still enjoy cheese, sour cream, and greek yogurt.  We use coconut or almond milk.  We're not perfect at following the diet 100%, mind you.  I still enjoy 12 oz. of Barq's or A&W a day and sometimes I have a Mike's or a glass of wine, but then I try to off-set that with 70ish oz of water.  And, actually, wine is allowed on the eating plan.

So, what's my point?  The point is, I honestly feel better.  My reflux is better.  MUCH better.  I still take the Nexium, but, often times before, even with the Nexium, I'd wake up in the middle of the night with BAD, BAD reflux.

My stomach is also better, in general.  Not as grumbly and like there is an alien or Gremlin in there trying to get out.  Now, for some TMI ... my bowel movements are better, too!  I won't go into detail, just trust me when I say they are 100 times better.

Changing our diet has had this kind of effect, what other natural things can I do for my body that might help my disease and my quality of life, while reducing the chemicals and manufactured meds that I have to take?

This is the stuff the new internist is into.  This is the stuff that I have to make sense of.  How much of it do I believe is successful?  How much of it is junk medicine?

I guess, time will tell!

No comments: