Thursday, December 23, 2010

A little light reading

It's been one of those days.  The combination of my super sore hands and the 2 hour long phone meeting with the disability lawyer have left me in a funk.

Not a permanent one, for sure.  Just a "feel sorry for my situation" couple of hours.  And not my whole situation, of course, just the scleroderma part.  And not even the whole scleroderma part.  No, I don't like having any part of it.  But, I do like the me that has emerged from it.  I like what I've learned about life and the person I need to be.

On the other side of all that feel good hoopla, I've had a couple of hours of feeling crappy.  Sore hands. Tired of the repeat performance of those hands.  Again?  Really?

So, I've had a good cry with Voodoo.  Some time to feel sorry for myself and hate my situation.  To wish it was different.

Then on to the internet for some light reading.  Is there any new information I've missed?  Of course not.  But, I did run across this:

"Researchers studying the effects of arthritis and scleroderma have found that some patients with scleroderma eventually develop rheumatoid arthritis. In fact, arthritis is often noted as a symptom of scleroderma. Both conditions may seriously affect the quality of one’s life as daily activities, such as cooking, eating and dressing become painfully difficult to accomplish.

When arthritis and scleroderma symptoms occur simultaneously, individuals often experience weakness in the thigh and upper arm muscles. Fatigue, tender joints and feverish joints may also be noted. In serious cases of scleroderma, difficulty swallowing and digestive problems can sometimes be present, as well as kidney failure, an irregular heart beat and severe breathing difficulties due to lung fibrosis."

Can anyone tell me something I'm not already living?


Now, hubby has put Kathleen Madigan on ...she always makes me laugh!


Tomorrow's another day.  A better day.

2 comments:

simone said...

I cringe to think of the whole disability and retirement thing. I'd think I was being so strong with handling the changes in my life. Then facing that reality would surprise me and make me cry. Every time.

I like the phrase - I had no experience making decisions within those circumstances. 

Good to hear you turned to humor. I'll remember that next time I have to deal with the paperwork or telephone interviews.      

LoJo said...

It shocked me. Ulcers aside, I feel like I've been doing pretty good.

The interview went well. the lawyer is nice. Pleasant. Understanding.

It was sitting there talking about all the things I struggle to do. Or that I can't do. Or how my life was compared to how it is now.

On many levels, my life is better - don't get me wrong. However, there are plenty of levels where, when you have to face it. Have to talk about it ... you remember IT SUCKS ASS!