Thursday, November 18, 2010

No, I can't open any wider!

Yep, I went to the dentist today.

I loved my MD dentist.  She had taken care of my teeth since I got out of the military.  Before sclero.  so, she had been through all the changes and she was great!  Visits were never easy.  We always had to figure out ways to get x-rays and fit the dental tools in there.  sometimes, we'd fail and I'd end up with sores in the corners of my mouth from stretching it open.  She was great, none the less.

I was apprehensive about going to a new dentist.  Always scared that they'll never have worked with sclero patients before.  That they won't be patient or understanding or have a good "chair-side manner."

Fortunately, everyone at my new dentist's office was great.  The x-ray technician worked really hard to get the few x-rays she could.  There's no way the adult things would fit in my mouth.  She tried with the kids tools and even those were too big.  So, she improvised.  She didn't get the full set they usually do, but she got enough to make the dentist happy.  He said we'll worry about more detailed ones as we go, if we need them.

The dentist was easy on me.  He did say "you can't open any wider?"  Just once.  LOL.

I have been bad and haven't been to the dentist in about a year.  I just need a really good cleaning to get started and then we'll be on schedule for regular 6 month visits.

Whew!  That was much easier than I expected.

And I'm ok with that!

1 comment:

simone said...

Shoot! I have to get back to my dentist for a routine check. But maybe I can put it off until this recent flare is under control...

I love me dentist. I hate the visit. For some reason that appointment always 'gets' to me.